Course Description – Final Inspector (Quality Control Inspector)
Course Description: Final Inspector
National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) Job Task Analysis
Quality Control Inspector
An IREC-accredited Course
Final Inspector/Quality Control Inspector is a course that has been accredited by the Interstate Renewable Energy Council (IREC).
Chris Willman is a Building Performance Institute certified professional.
At the root of every successful completion is a comprehensive and accurate evaluation of the entire weatherization process. From the audit to the implementation of the work scope through the interim and final inspections, it’s all in the details.
This four-day course will detail the diagnostics, attention to detail and expectations of quality weatherization interim and final inspections.
This course will:
- detail all diagnostic procedures for shell, mechanical, and health and safety
- look at the appropriateness of audit procedures and work-scope effectiveness
- explore ways to evaluate all aspects of the weatherization process, looking for opportunities to improve our product
- evaluate the need for an interim inspection and site visits for crews in progress
- identify what work meets expectations and where improvements are necessary
- detail how to proceed with the need for additional work
- Four days of course instruction and demonstrations
- Written test at end of day four
- Customized to meet your network’s needs
What You Will Learn
- to understand the house as a system
- local regulations and standards
- purpose of monitoring and inspecting
- what should be included in an inspector’s “toolbox”
- how to use diagnostic tools and interpret findings
- how to conduct quality checks for work in progress and post-work
- how to perform exterior and interior visual/sensory and diagnostic inspections
- ways to ensure workers’ professionalism
- how to evaluate client satisfaction
- how to ensure program or project compliance
- how to report findings
- and more!
Successful completion of the Energy Auditor course or equivalent
What is a Quality Control Inspector (QCI)?
A quality control inspector is a residential energy-efficiency professional who ensures the completion, appropriateness and quality of energy upgrade work by:
- conducting a methodological audit/inspection of a building
- performing safety and diagnostic tests
- observing the work.
About NREL’s Job Task Analysis
The Final Inspector course follows the NREL’s Quality Control Inspector Job Task Analysis (JTA). The JTA is the foundation for the IREC credentialing program, identifying critical knowledge areas, work functions and skills for a professional working in the field.
The JTA was created by subject matter experts (SMEs) and includes a blueprint for the examination used in the course.